Re: Question Regarding Copyright

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 02:43:28PM -0400, Jonathan Yu wrote:
> It should be noted that we are currently working on fulfilling ITPs
> for Coro (libcoro-perl) and its dependency, Guard (libguard-perl),
> which have similar copyright issues (the copyright statement is
> missing, but the license information is present). I'm not a lawyer,
> but I'm told that this is okay per the Berne Convention, since
> copyright is implicitly granted to the author of software, so I think
> that's the main reason why Marc Lehmann doesn't feel the need to add
> an explicit copyright statement.

AFAIK, this is correct yes. Copyright is established without needing
to explicetly claim it.

Which doesn't excuse you from documenting it in debian/copyright. And if in
doubt, always add everything relevant directly into debian/copyright.
While I would say that this is more important in the case of license
statement than in the case of copyright statements, the preference
is always for the debian/copyright file to be self-contained (with the
defined exception of /usr/share/common-licenses).

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/