Re: r35428 - /trunk/libtest-refcount-perl/debian/changelog

-=| Peter Pentchev, Fri, May 15, 2009 at 10:49:48AM +0300 |=-
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 05:13:25AM -0000, jawnsy-guest@users.alioth.debian.org wrote:
> > Both dependencies are in NEW now, so dch -r. Note this module is
> > still
> > waiting for libdevel-findref-perl and libdevel-refcount-perl to be
> > accepted, but they're waiting in NEW.
>
> I wonder if it wouldn't be more prudent (okay, more conservative and
> a bit more careful, yes, but still IMHO more prudent) to wait until
> the packages are actually accepted, not just in NEW :)  Just in case
> they are rejected for some difficult-to-fix reason and it takes time
> to resolve it.
>
> At least that's what I've gathered from the policy on the -mentors
> list; most sponsors seem to frown upon maintainers submitting packages
> that need other packages that are still not in the archive proper.
> Of course, with the sponsors in our team and with the level of careful
> checking and attention they give each package before uploading it
> a rejection from NEW should be extremely rare - and here's a great
> "thanks!" to the pkg-perl sponsors :)  But still... well, I don't know,
> I personally tend to wait until the dependencies are actually accepted
> :)

The safe approach is safe, but if you have a dependency chain, this
means a lot of waiting. OTOH, if we upload with dependencies still in
NEW, chances are that everithing will be just fine and all packages
will be accepted in one go.

Even if some of the dependencies are rejected, the ill effect is that
the depending package is also rejected. These chain rejects are either quick
without wasting ftp-master time, or they still reviewed the packages,
which will save them time the next time the packages are uploaded.

Yes, there is some ftp-master overhead, but given the fairly small
number of rejects we get, I think uploading with dependencies in NEW
is OK (for us).

--
dam