Re: RFC Debian package upgrade with Config::Model

Hi,

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 02:07:48PM +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:
>Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:
>> It seems obvious to me that upstream=author packager=packager, but
>> with "user" do you then mean a non-admin person or someone installing
>> and/or maintaining the system?
>
>It's often both. Imagine a desktop user, who just switched from
>Windows. He's the end user and has to do the admin for his machine, but
>he does not have the skills (yet?).
>
>For this kind of people, you don't expose choices unless absolutely
>necessary.

Agreed.  But providing choice (as is what I proposed) does not
necessitate _exposing_ that choice by default.

Could be a medium or low urgency (or is it called "severity") debconf
question.

>There's indeed no need.

...which means above discussion is moot :-)

>I can either:
>- tweak config-edit so that temp files for upgrades are stored in
>  /var/lib/config-model, something like:
>    config-edit -save_for_upgrade  # creates temp file
>    config-edit -upgrade           # use previous temp file
>- arrange for the dh-upgrader script to store temp files in
>  /var/lib/config-model
>
>First option is probably the best as it would be valid across distros.

Is it sane to use /var/lib/config-model across distros?

Hey - is it even sane to assume that the tool is (only) a distro tool?

To me it makes sense to use at the distro level for Debian, but I can
imagine other uses than that too.

I imagine providing the distro routines completely separate from the
Config::Model libraries, to encourage alternative uses of the tool.
Even as a separate source package.  As such, it makes better sense to me
to provide a debhelper script.  How about calling it dh_config?

>> (I might come up with an even better candidate: while I am involved
>> in packaging icecast2 I do not really use it myself, so would not
>> really know what options would be relevant to handle)
>
>I'm all ears.

Ask me later - too much other work piling up at the moment... :-/

>PS: I've updated http://wiki.debian.org/PackageConfigUpgrade with the
>first results of our current discussion. Some FIXMEs are still left.

Sorry, still haven't found time to fully dive into it.  Please do ping
me later - and if not (long) before that, force me to look at it at
debconf.

Thanks for your work on this (to me) important mechanism!

  - Jonas

- --