Re: Pkg-perl-cvs-commits post from legatvs@gmail.com requires approval

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:14:08 +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:

> Any hint how to avoid that is welcome. Here's the current procedure
> for upgrading the debian package:

Not a hint -- on the contrary, a n00b-question:

> # refresh the local copy of upstream repository
> $ git fetch upstream-repo
> # merge the relevant upstream tag into the local upstream branch
> $ git co upstream
> $ git merge 2.1.10

^ vs. v

> # use git-import orig for pristine-tar integration and
> # debian/changelog bump
> $ git co master
> $ git-import-orig --pristine-tar ../clive_2.1.10.orig.tar.gz

Why do you have the upstream source twice, once via their git repo
and once from the tarball?

> The only way I can think of to avoid this is to stop merging tags (and
> therefore commits) from upstream repository to the upstream branch
> (and consequently to the master branch). Instead, git-import-orig
> could simply roll the .orig.tar.gz into the upstream branch and create
> a single "new upstream release" commit that is then merged into
> master.

Hm, maybe my question is not totally unrelated to your question :)

 .''`.   Home: http://info.comodo.priv.at/{,blog/} / GPG Key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
 `. `'   Member of VIBE!AT, SPI Inc., fellow of FSFE | http://got.to/quote/
   `-    NP: Dire Straits: Tunnel Of Love