Re: Debian::Package::Make 'v' Module::Build::Debian

Ron Savage <ron@savage.net.au> writes:
> This is my first question to the list.

Welcome aboard :-)

> I did not find any reference to these modules (see Subject) on the wiki,
> so I'm wondering if either one (or any other Perl module) is recommended
> to use in a Perl program to build a *.deb file.

The most interesting doc is "Debian Perl Group Subversion Guide":

  http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/subversion.html

dh-make-perl is the recommended tool to create debian package from a
Perl distribution. Although manual edition of resulting files will be
necessary.

> I did use Module::Build::Debian on one of my own modules, and was able
> to install the resultant *.deb file.

I did not know this module. Looks like a wrapper around dh-make-perl

> However I got so many unexpected msgs, I have great doubts as to how
> useful this module is. Extracts from the output:
>
> (1)
> 'deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 CD Binary-1
> 20070407-11:55]/ etch contrib main' has unknown format
>
> Odd - the CD was not in the drive.
>
> (2)
> Exiting subroutine via next at /usr/share/perl5/Debian/AptContents.pm
> line 173, <GEN0> line 4.
>
> Serious bug.
>
> Submit a bug report you say? Well, yes, but this page:
> http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup
> doesn't actually say how. I assume the info is elsewhere...

I guess that the bug should be submitted to dh-make-perl. But you will
need to reproduce the problem with dh-make-perl directly instead of
going through Module::Build::Debian.

> (3)
> = Carp is a core module
> - Log::Dispatch not found in any package
>
> Odd - I get this even after running 'sudo cpan Log::Dispatch' and
> getting this output: 'Log::Dispatch is up to date (2.22).'
> What am I meant to make of this?

Sometimes dh-make-perl is not able to find the debian package
corresponding to a Perl module.  liblog-dispatch-perl is probably
already installed on your system.

Just declare the dependency in your control file and you should be
fine.

> I get the same thing for Test::Pod.
> If Module::Build::Debian is deprecated, no problem, but the wiki should
> say so.

I'm not sure that Module::Build::Debian was known... Seasoned Debian
Perl Group member will confirm (or not).

> (4)
> You do not have 'apt-file' currently installed, or have not ran
> 'apt-file update' - If you install it and run 'apt-file update' as
> root, I will be able to tell you which Debian packages are those
> modules in (if they are packaged).
>
> Odd - After running that command I still get the same msg.

dh-make-perl is not perfect ... ;-)

> (5)
> Copyright information incomplete!
>
> Upstream copyright information could not be automatically determined.
>
> If you are building this package for your personal use, you might
> disregard
> this information; however, if you intend to upload this package to
> Debian
> (or in general, if you plan on distributing it), you must look into the
> complete copyright information.
>
> The causes for this warning are:
> Licensing information is present, but cannot be parsed
>
> Hmmm - Not sure about this. I need to study licence formats, perhaps?

Yes. Copyright file needs to be edited. See this example from my latest package:

http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-perl/trunk/libconfig-model-openssh-perl/debian/copyright?rev=30476&view=auto

The format is specified there:

 http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat?action=recall&rev=196

> (6)
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${misc:Depends}
>
> Hmm - should I worry about this?

err, probably. I'll let others follow this one up.

HTH

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they

irc:
  domidumont at irc.freenode.net
  ddumont at irc.debian.org