Re: Padre status update (after 0.26)

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:
> -=| Gabor Szabo, Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:15:38PM +0200 |=-
>> I know I am just the nagging guy but can someone please
>> check what is holding back Padre from inclusion ?
>
> Basically it is my lack of time.
>
> Things do move, though. I am in the final steps of preparing padre
> 0.27 package.

that's great, thanks!

>> If that's some dependency not in the control of this group,
>> could you please tell me who else should I nag ?
>
> There were a couple of dependencies that were not sufficiently new in
> Debian, but it seems nothing breaks when using the versions from
> Debian so I have relaxed the version requirements.

That would be an important piece of information to relay to the
original developers
in *every case* for several reasons.

1) with bugs most users will come to complain to the original
developers and not the
    Debian maintainers, the original developers should be aware of this issue.
2) The original developers might be aware of a situation when you do
need the advanced version.
3) If the package really does not need such an advanced version of a
dependency it
    could be relaxed in general not just for Debian.

This is just a special case of Debian patching upstream packages.
Please avoid it
and try to communicate any such patch to the upstream developers.

> Bear in mind that after I upload padre to the Debian repositories, it
> has to pass ftp-masters' review. That could easily take from a couple
> of days to a couple of months, depending on their workload. You don't
> want to nag /them/ though :)
I'll keep that in mind :-)

Padre Plugins

Now that Padre is getting closer to inclusion, could you also start looking
at the Plugins? As the Plugins themself might also be quickly moving target
and as they are pure perl packages - hence easy to install - we have created
a "Task" that will list all the dependencies of the plugins.
We created that especially for downstream packages to make it easier for them
to package the dependencies of the Padre Plugins.
If you can include most of those as .deb packages that will make the life of
our users much easier.
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Task-Padre-Plugin-Deps/

regards
  Gabor