Re: Padre 0.25 released

-=| Damyan Ivanov, Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:58:56AM +0200 |=-
> Needs a bit more work from my side:
> * share/icons
> I need to check the sources, their (c) and licensing terms. I am a bit
> tired after browsing the 50k diff between 0.19 and 0.25, so that can
> wait a day or two :)

(for the record "50k" is measured in lines, not bytes)

I looked at icons. No dice, but almost there. Let me explain.

* share/icons/gnmoe218/* lacks any notice of copyright and license.
  Not distributable, especially as the directory suggests that's
  someone else's work (GNOME project)

* share/icons/padre/README.txt says:

   This directory contains padre-specific icons, all of which have
   either been created from scratch by members of the Padre team (they
   fall under the same terms as Padre itself) or have their source
   individually documented and verified.

  This fails in two ways.

   * "members of the Padre team" is rather wague. The team is not
     a legal entity and cannot hold copyright. I'd suggests adding "as
     described below" to make it clear for the future additions to the
     list that each icon has to have the author's copyright
     documented.
   * "same terms as Padre itself" is vague too. Right now, to the best
     of my nitpick^W knowledge, all padre sources use "same terms as
     Perl itself". Why not mention that explicitly for the icons too?
     Some day, part of the padre may use another license and then
     "same as Padre" becomes a puzzle.

* actions/x-document-close.png

  "Taken from KDE4 Oxygen theme". Please include exact copyright and
  licensing terms at the time the file was taken from KDE4. For
  instance, I am pretty sure that file is not licensed "same as Perl".
  It can also change later, making the trunk/ URL not reliable source
  of such information.

* status/*

  "Created by Padre developer Steffen Mueller"
  Please add copyright statement (with an year) and explicit license.

Thank you for your patience dealing with boring legal stuff.