Re: Probable bug in libwww-perl

On Nov 29, 2008, at 10:03 AM, Sridhar M.A. wrote:

Hi,

I am presently running testing on my machine. It dual boots to i386 and
amd64.

I installed checkgmail on both the systems. It works fine on amd64, but
gives an error uner i386. The error I get is :

Just want to make sure that you downloaded any/all perl modules using apt-get or aptitude and not CPAN - that is the case right? What was the command you gave to install checkgmail?

 CheckGmail v1.13svn
 Copyright © 2005-6, Owen Marshall

 Sorry!  CheckGmail can't find the following package(s) on your
 system.  These packages are needed for CheckGmail to run.

 LWP::UserAgent
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The above is the name of the perl module, not the debian package, (just trying to be absolutely clear here.)

 Try installing them if they're provided by your distro, and then
 run CheckGmail again ...

This is good advice.

I have this file on my system which comes from the package libwww- perl.
It is in /usr/share/perl5/. I mailed the maintainer of the checkgmail
package. In the meantime, I created a very simple file, test.pl,
with the lines :

 #!/usr/bin/perl

 use strict;
 use warnings;

 use LWP::UserAgent ;

 print "Hi\n"

Running that gives me the following :

Can't locate URI.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/ lib/perl/5.10.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/ share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/ site_perl .) at (eval 5) line 3. Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/HTTP/Request.pm line 3. Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/LWP/UserAgent.pm line 10. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/LWP/ UserAgent.pm line 10.
 Compilation failed in require at /tmp/test.pl line 6.
 BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /tmp/test.pl line 6.

That is really weird because a) it runs fine on my machine, b) it should not have a dependency on URI.pm or call URI.pm.

The maintainer, Sandro, suggested that I involve the maintainer of
libwww-perl package also. hence I am mailing you with my problem. If it
is of any help, I mounted that partition
under /mnt and tried diff. Here are the results :

 $ diff /usr/bin/checkgmail /mnt/usr/bin/checkgmail
mas@brahman:/var/cache/apt/archives$ diff -q {/mnt,}/usr/share/ perl5/LWP Common subdirectories: /mnt/usr/share/perl5/LWP/Authen and /usr/ share/perl5/LWP/Authen Common subdirectories: /mnt/usr/share/perl5/LWP/Protocol and /usr/ share/perl5/LWP/Protocol Files /mnt/usr/share/perl5/LWP/Protocol.pm and /usr/share/perl5/LWP/ Protocol.pm differ Files /mnt/usr/share/perl5/LWP/RobotUA.pm and /usr/share/perl5/LWP/ RobotUA.pm differ Files /mnt/usr/share/perl5/LWP/UserAgent.pm and /usr/share/perl5/ LWP/UserAgent.pm differ

Hmm. Pretty confusing. It looks like you have a fairly heterogenous installation with lots of perl modules in different places. This can make things confusing when you run various scripts unless you are explicit with which modules you are calling.

Did you install lots of modules with CPAN? And lots with apt-get? What does @INC look like? Which version of perl are you running? It looks like 5.10 but could you do a perl -V to double check (on both i386 and am64)?

Jeremiah