Re: Template Toolkit, Template::DBI and Etch updates breakage

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 01:26:35AM +0100, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > However, a big "selling point" for the Template Toolkit has long been
> > the Template::DBI module. Sadly, I believe we are quite a bit late to
> > introduce it into Lenny - But the package could be uploaded into
> > Debian, and basically added straight to lenny-backports as soon as it
> > is available.
>
> If the Template::DBI module is an important part of Template Toolkit, we
> should avoid regressions *within* Debian instead of referring users to
> backports.  That look more like a work-around for the release process to
> me.
>
> We should ask the release team if the package could still be allowed for
> Lenny -- the code has already been in Debian before after all and it
> would avoid regressions.  Though I agree it very late, probably too
> late, for this.

It was a deliberate decision not to proactively package Template::DBI
based on the fact that no package used that functionality at the time
(and presumably still doesn't).

If it's now considered essential, then another option would be to
repackage Template::DBI inside the main TT package as a high-urgency
upload (and preparing a package for NEW) if that would make it more
likely to be accepted by the release team.

I am happy to do the work either as a NEW package for lenny or as
described above, if there is consensus.

Dominic.