Re: Debian Perl Group meeting at DebCamp - 2008-08-06

On Mon, 2008-15-09 at 07:16 +0930, Ron wrote:
> Adding each new repo should be as little or less work than adding
> a new svn module.

I don't think (though I'm not completely sure) that this is the problem
with which people are concerned.

The problem is that there are, on occasion, changes to be made to all
packages.  Git does not appear to have a good solution for this.  By
design, git treats an entire repository as a single entity.  So it is
logical (as you, and others suggest) to put each package into a separate
repository.   There is "SubProject" support (for which I posted links)
but Damyan Ivanov does not think it is sufficient.

Both CVS and Subversion allow you to checkout a subtree so for either of
them, it is logical to put all the packages into one repository and have
a tree dedicated to global properties (or something like that).  But for
git you need an additional tool to solve the problem.

--
--gh