Re: Debian Perl Group meeting at DebCamp - 2008-08-06

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> writes:

> Humm... What has set me off git for our team's work is:
>
> - It's easier to refer to a revision number than to its MD5 ;-) And we
>   very often mention repository revision numbers in our usual
>   communication

It's not always entirely obvious from the Git documentation, but you can
use any arbitrary-length prefix of the checksum that's unique.  Usually
four or five digits is enough.

It's still harder to say verbally, but for cut and paste and reference in
e-mail and the like, it's fairly easy.

> - I don't know if/how git can do partial checkouts. For a long time, I
>   have just given up on having a whole checkout even of our
>   trunk. I just check out the module in question and work on it.

Every place that I use Git, I use a separate repository per package.  I'm
skeptical it makes much sense in the Git paradigm to have a single giant
repository for every module that the Perl group would package, for
instance.

Subversion tends much more towards centralization.  Git repositories are
cheap, and there's usually no reason not to have lots of them (although
you have to write some quick scripts if you want to do mass updates, and
mass updates are a lot slower).