Re: Debian Perl Group meeting at DebCamp - 2008-08-06

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 17:56:43 +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:

> > > It seems natural for this place to be debian/rules itself, but I guess
> > > calculating the checksum, including the checksum itself can be tricky
> > Therefore a unique id (like dh-make-perl version or svn revision)
> > might be easier.
> Thought about this, but the checksum serves one very important
> function -- one can check whether the rules file was hand-modified, or
> is it the same generated version and can safely be re-generated.

Ah, good point.

> > > (without claiming anything about en_LEGAL): "The full list of
> > > contributors can be found in /usr/share/doc/$PKG/changelog.Debian.gz"
> > > This does not say anything about © holders, thugh. We keep them as it
> > > is now? (i.e. 'significant' contributions lead to addition to
> > > copyright holders, 'significant' evaluated by the individual
> > > contributor)
> > That of course works but having something like
> >   Copyright: the contributors, cf. changelog.Debian.gz
> >   License: $superset of ...
> > might be more convenient.
> I see. While I think the Copyright: part may work, the License may be
> tricky. Not only because the "superset" may ot be that clear, but also
> because there if upstream changes their license, that would mean that
> all contributors automatically change the license of their work.
> Smells bad to me :)

Hm, yes, might be a problem.
But it has to be checked manually anyway, and most contributors would
agree to anything like "as long as it's free and compatible with
upstream it's ok". (And that's the reason why archived
acknowledgements of this policy would be helpful.)

> > > What do we do with the few packages that are not on
> > > CPAN, although they are perl modules?
> > Nothing?
> > (Except adding a commented out /dist/ line to d/watch so that
> > packagecheck doesn't try to create one. But I think at the moment all
> > d/watch files are already up2date.)
> I meant with regard to the warning you talk about. These packages
> would be false positives. X-Not-CPAN: ok?

As long as there is the commented /dist/ URL packagecheck won't
complain. Not very elegant but works :)

 : :' :  debian gnu/linux user, admin & developer - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Kurt Ostbahn: Sowos wia mia