Re: libiptables-parse-perl : initial upload

gregor herrmann wrote:

> Here are some comments on the package:
>
> * debian/watch:
>   I'd suggest to remove the "debian uupdate" part, because uupdate is
>   not really helpful in our environment (svn repository, svn-upgrade).

Done.

> * debian/copyright:
>   - Please provide a more specific download URL, I guess
>     http://www.cipherdyne.com/modules/ would be appropriate.
>
>   - The reference to the licenses Perl is distributed under is missing.
>     You need to add something like
>
>     Perl is distributed under your choice of the GNU General Public License or
>     the Artistic License.  On Debian GNU/Linux systems, the complete text of the
>     GNU General Public License can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL'
>     and the Artistic Licence in `/usr/share/common-licenses/Artistic'.
>
>     before the stanza about the packaging.
>   - Usually the Debian packaging is put under "the same terms as the
>     module itself" but that's of course up to you.

>   - You say "Copyright (C) by 2008 Michael B. Rash",
>     lib/IPTables/Parse.pm has "Copyright (C) 2005-2008 by Michael
>     Rash" (and README just 2005); I guess changing to "2005-2008"
>     would be the best solution

As the Homepage field can be found in debian/control, could I remove the
 url from the debian/copyright file ?

> * debian/rules:
>   - The invocation of "perl Makefile.PL" is not ideal (in build-stamp),
>     also  "make install_vendor" is at least untypical.
>     Please use the template from a current dh-make-perl; the easiest
>     way is to regenerate debian/rules by calling `dh-make-perl -R'

debian/rules regenerated with dh-make-perl.
Should I remove the template comment and the others comments ?
(I have seen on debian.mentors "remove sample description from
debian/rules" many times)

>   - I suggest not to install the upstream README as it doesn't
>     provide any useful information for users of the Debian package
>     (just change "dh_installdocs README" to "dh_installdocs").

Done.

> * debian/changelog:
>   If the package has never been released anywhere there's no need for
>   two entries; you can just collapse them to one (0.6-1, with the
>   single line "* Initial release (Closes: #481973)"

As a matter of fact, I did so since it was the easiest way to handle
this package with my own repository. But anyway, done.

> * debian/control:
>   - s/HomePage/Homepage (BTW: creating a package with 'dh-make-perl --pkg-perl'
>     should get these fields right)

I started with dh-make first :p!
I have added ${misc:Depends} in the Depends field.

>   - AFAICS IPTables::Parse was included in psad; so installing
>     libiptables-parse-perl leads to conflicting files. What is needed
>     here is [0]:
>     Conflicts: psad (<= 2.1.2-1)
>           [or: psad (<< $first_version_without_perl_modules)]
>     Replaces: psad (<= 2.1.2-1)
>           [or: psad (<< $first_version_without_perl_modules)]
>
>     (And in psad a dependency on libiptables-parse-perl.)
>
>    For details cf. Debian Policy Chapter 7
>    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html

Updated.

I can update libiptables-chainmgr-perl the same way before uploading it
to svn.debian.org.

Many thanks.

- --
Franck Joncourt
http://debian.org - http://smhteam.info/wiki/
Fingerprint : C10E D1D0 EF70 0A2A CACF 9A3C C490 534E 75C0 89FE