libft-perl - a mess?

I'm not generally interested in libft-perl, apart from the fact that
defoma recommends it.  Currently in testing:
  libperl5.8: Depends: perl-base (= 5.8.8-12) but 5.10.0-10 is to be
installed.
  libversion-perl: Depends: perl (< 5.9.0) but 5.10.0-10 is to be
installed.
                   Depends: perlapi-5.8.8 which is a virtual package.
  libft-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.8.8 which is a virtual package.
Resolving dependencies...

Remove the following packages:
libft-perl
libperl5.8
libversion-perl

Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
defoma recommends libft-perl
elinks-data recommends elinks (= 0.11.3-7)
Score is -863

So, I took a quick look at libft-perl (I'll worry about libperl5.8 and
libversion-perl later:).  It's currently orphaned, with several RC
bugs[1], and I can't even find it on CPAN.  I know there are newer,
possibly maintained Freetype modules on CPAN, so maybe the answer is for
defoma to use one of those.

The documentation in perldoc FreeType is non-existent.  All I can find
is in the copyright file, it was debianized by Mitsuru Oka, and uploaded
by ISHIKAWA Mutsumi.  I have emailed them to see if they want to fix it,
and will let this list know if I hear anything.

Antony

[1] Including a FTBFS with perl 5.10.