Re: bugs and patches in Debian

Martín Ferrari dijo [Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:20:42PM -0300]:
> Hi Gabor,

Hi, Gabor. Hi, Martín. :)

> (... SNIP ...)
> - Number of patches: the problem here is the many ways of doing this
> in debian; but in the Perl Group we have more or less standarised on
> using quilt, and the few remaining use dpatch/simple-patchsys which
> are quite similar. I guess this can be added pretty easily for us, not
> for Debian in general (there are many Perl packages maintained outside
> the group).

Umh... Well, we are steadily moving towards "quiltifying" our
patches. If there is a debian/patches directory (which means, either
quilt or dpatch are in use - makes no real difference for the data
Gabor requires), we could just count the number of files in it, maybe
even give links to easily download each of them straight off our
web-svn tree. If debian/patches does not exist... It's a bit harder to
find whether any upstream-provided file has been modified. Maybe
comparing (again, in SVN) branches/upstream/<pkgname>/current to
trunk. But this can be an expensive operation if done on request.

> > I guess I am talking about Debian Unstable here but we can discuss this.
>
> I don't think it has much sense to track stable.

No sense at all, IMHO, given Debian's workflow. It's like tracking if
your house has moved. Provided, of course, you don't live in a trailer :)

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23