Re: [PET-devel] New PET page for the games team :D

On 01/09/08 at 10:20 +0200, Gonéri Le Bouder wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 09:22:40AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> (...)
>
> > I think that you are both missing the point.
> >
> > PET and buildstat are competitors, because they both try to:
> > - run tests
> > - display information in an useful way
> >
> > As a result, it's likely that none of them will succeed, and that we
> > will have to live with several tools doing basically the same thing for
> > years, like lintian and linda.
> We are both willing to merge our tools. buildstat works today and is
> already able to accept QA resultat from a standardized format. I think
> a meeting is absolutly needed here with the three parties.
> IMO Buildstat is a DB + an interface to collect QA check results from 3th
> parties tools.
> Creating such schema wasn't that easy, I had to recreate it from scratch
> two times yet.
>
> (...)
> > UDD isn't the ultimate solution, but it at least forces a clean
> > workflow:
> For me, the best solution to get a working solution quickly is to act
> like that. It's not what most of you want. I guess you wish to see
> buildstat out of the scheam, but it works fine.
>
> >  Test1    Test2    Test3   Test4
> >    \           \   /       /
> >     `---------\ \ / /-----'
>         buildstat (input interface)
>               buildstat(DB)           <------>           U D D
> > 	       |  |                                       |
> >                |      DDPO-like web interface           |
> >                |    ` DDPO-by-mail                      |
>                  |     PET interface                      |
>                  |    buildstat interface                 |
> > 	         |   ` other scripts                      |
>
> Of course, I share the final goal of having a Ultimate Database but
> stopping what works fine today is not a good option for me.
>
> If we do a meeting we Buildstat, PET and UDD teams, we will able to
> quickly prepare a clean roadmap and, more important, avoid futur wast of
> time.

I'm not sure that waiting for a meeting is a good idea. Tincho is in
argentina, and I'll have problems freeing some time in the near future
to attend a meeting, etc. I would prefer if we start by discussing this
by mail.

Could we use pet-devel@ for that? And ask all interested parties to
subscribe?