Re: "What perl looks like under debian" (Highlights from the perl-policy)

> It's nice to know things are stable BUT one of the selling points of
> Perl is that
> the code is platform independent.
> Thus encouraging something that is Debian specific is IMHO not a good idea.

Well I think a lot of debian users actually _like_ debian's
stability. Apparently corporate deployments of "Free Software"
distributions like debian are increasing because paid support for
linux is too expensive and debian and its derivatives are
reliable.

Also I note a grant proposal to The Perl Foundation which talks about
a debian-like hierarchy (i.e. stable, unstable, testing) implemented
for perl. (Schwern wants to do this for CPAN.)

> Which means to me a good Perl script is capable of finding the perl interpreter.
> The way it can do this is by packaging it as a CPAN-ish module and then
> during the installation MakeMaker or Module::Build or M::I will rewrite the
> shebang to the one on the current system.

That just doesn't seem portable to me.

> If there is an easy way to create a .deb from a CPAN-ish module then maybe
> the best recommendation would be to write and package your script as a CPAN
> module. Then create a .deb from it and install that.

It is relatively easy, heck I even managed to do it. But I think that
the process that exists now, which is largely a manual one, is better
than creating automated software to do it - that just leads to chaos IMHO.

> >    On Debian, the order of perl, vendor, and site has been
> >    reversed. This of course means that @INC will search through the
> >    site dir to find installed modules first, then vendor, then
> >    finally perl although this is called "core" on debian and is
> >    reserved for those modules that ship with the perl binary itself,
> >    i.e. Test::More. These directories look like this:
>
> I don't know this stuff. Send this to the p5p list as well and ask them what
> do they think.

I got this stuff from the Perl wiki link you sent me! :) And from the
debian perl policy documentation, which TPF says is the best.

> regards and cu
>
>    Gabor

Cheers!
	Jeremiah