Re: pod2man update

Summary for the release team: is there any chance to still get the
'pod2man --utf8' functionality into lenny?

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 05:44:17PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
>
> > The debian perl packaging allows modules included in perl itself to be
> > overridden with newer versions packaged separately. So we just need to
> > get a package of the updated versions of Pod::Man and Pod::Text, which
> > debconf can then (temporarily) build-depend on. Hmm, looks like an
> > updated pod2man would also need to be included, perhaps under a
> > different name than the regular one?
> >
> > Perhaps the pkg-perl team can help put such a package together?
>
> I was hoping (as upstream maintainer) that the newer version could get
> into lenny as part of perl-modules.  Perl IMO really needs another upload
> before lenny; there's also the incredibly annoying warning bug that
> affects anyone using Net::Domain.

Yes, a perl upload is finally coming up, and the release team has acked
#480428 for lenny. Sorry for the delay.

> Failing that, we could maintain a separate package.  There are two scripts
> provided, pod2man and pod2text, in addition to the modules.  I don't know
> if a podlators package should divert the scripts from perl or do something
> else with them.  Do we have any precedents?  Unfortunately, pod2man does
> need to be updated to accept the new -u option; pod2text doesn't have at
> present any changes except (in 2.1.2) spelling fixes in the man page.

I'd actually prefer a separate podlators-perl (or whatever) package, as
usual for updating outdated bundled core modules.  Just diverting pod2man
should do, there's a precedent in the libmodule-corelist-perl package.

Release team: is there any chance to still get the newer Pod::Man and
friends into lenny as a new package?  The 'pod2man --utf8' functionality
would fix #480997 and #492037, and there are also bugfixes for #448204
and #480565 included.

Alternatively, would you consider a corresponding patch for the perl
package for inclusion into lenny? As noted in #480997, turning UTF8 into
"X"s is a regression from 5.8.8, although it was relying on undefined
behaviour.

Russ: if patching the perl-modules version is the way to go, could you
please help me to create and verify a minimal patch for that? I've got it
up to 2.1.0 OK but separating the important bugfixes out from 2.1.1 and
2.1.2 would certainly be easier for you.
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org