Re: Help with libbuffy-bindings FTBFS

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 09:37:41PM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:

> (See also my and sgran's comments in #debian-perl.)
> > I need help with two bugs: #489110 "FTBFS: Problem opening MANIFEST: No
> > such file or directory at /usr/share/perl/5.10/ExtUtils/Manifest.pm line
> > 312"
> The build actually fails at:
> /usr/bin/make -C python distclean
> make[2]: Entering directory `/build/user-libbuffy-bindings_0.4-amd64-WjEAGV/libbuffy-bindings-0.4/python'
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `distclean'.
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/build/user-libbuffy-bindings_0.4-amd64-WjEAGV/libbuffy-bindings-0.4/python'
> make[1]: *** [distclean] Error 2
> Wrong department :)

Argh, shame on me: python/ autotools-generated files are not in the
repo, and I forgot to mention it.  After clone, it needs this:

  # python/configure.ac uses macros from libbuffy-dev
  apt-get install libbuffy-dev
  ( cd python && autoreconf -i )

I have also added perl/MANIFEST, which was indeed missing (although,
probably, it was not a big deal).  You may want to pull again from
origin.

> > and #488054 "Buffy.so outside perl's @INC".
> I cannot reproduce this one, neither with the package in the archive
> nor with a local build.
> (And I think the conclusion is wrong; the error is about Buffy.pm,
> which loads the .so; and /usr/lib/perl5/Buffy.pm exists, both in the
> package in the archive and in my local build.
> sgran's guess was that /home/madduck/debian/pkg/buffy/buffycli/lib/
> might be the cuplrit.)

Once I got the package to compile, the resulting libbuffy-perl package
does indeed miss Buffy.pm; it's also not installed anywhere inside
debian/*

If I run by hand something like (cd perl && make install PREFIX=/tmp/foo)
then /tmp/foo does not end up containing Buffy.pm

> > I just can not understand what is wrong and how to fix it; that very
> > same setup used to work before.
> Besides the python problem the ./Makefile could need some tweaks;
> rebuilding perl/Makefile several times doesn't seem like a good idea.

I use test exactly for that reason:

  test -e perl/Makefile || (cd perl && perl Makefile.PL)

so if perl/Makefile has been built, it doesn't get rebuilt again.
The reason you see it built twice, is because debian/rules does a
make clean first, then a make install; since make clean removes the
Makefile at the end, make install will regenerate it again.

Ciao,

Enrico