Re: Proposal for a logo contest

On Wed, 2008-02-07 at 10:31 +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> Anyone proposing a logo containing the O'Reily camel should obtain
> permission for that themselves. Please list all requirements.

I was not proposing a logo containing the camel.  I was merely pointing
out that you will have no problem using the O'Reilly trademark or with
the DFSG depending on how you plan to *use* the logo.

If it is a logo for Debian to use then there is no problem beyond
negotiation.  If it is a part of Debian for end-users, then there is.  I
realize that there was a problem with firefox but that was slightly
different (and my family loves 'iceweasel').

Also, for the record, I said "open source" (notice the scare quotes)
because that is the term O'Reilly uses in the context with getting their
permission.  I do not use the term the myself (I read the GNU Manifesto
in 1985/6 when I started using emacs, btw).

> Let's discuss the contest rules a bit and then everyone can quietly

I think the contest is a great idea.  I hope you come up with something
not-too-ugly but I have no real interest in logos and marketing.  Nor in
flame-wars over licenses.

> desing their own logo :)

See first paragraph.

Apologies for the interruption ... I will go back to lurking ...

--
--gh