Re: RFP - IP::Country::Fast

-=| Jefferson Cowart, Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 03:51:35AM -0700 |=-
> I have a package request that should be reasonably simple.
> IP::Country::Fast can optionally be used by spammassassin. I've been
> using a locally built version (dh-make-perl appears to make it cleanly),
> but it would be nice if it could be in Debian proper (and possibly
> recommended/suggested by spamassassin). Thanks.

First, RFPs should be filed as bugs to the wnpp package. See
http://www.bg.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

Second, the upstream distribution name is IP-Country so perhaps the
package name should be libip-country-perl.

Third, I think it is not suitable for main due to the licenses used,
see
http://search.cpan.org/~nwetters/IP-Country-2.24/lib/IP/Country.pm#COPYRIGHT

This particularly makes me wonder if the package could be included
even in non-free:

  LACNIC database copyright

  Copyright (c) Latin American and Caribbean IP address Regional
  Registry. All rights reserved.

i.e, not even a right to distribute is given.

> (I'm not subscribed to this list, so please CC me on any replies.)
done