Re: debian-policy: contradiction how to name man pages in perl-policy

Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@2008.43-1.org> writes:

> Package: debian-policy
> Version: 3.7.3.0
> Severity: normal
>
> there is a contradiction how to name man pages for perl modules.
> Section 4.1 states
>
>     Module packages must install manual pages into the standard
>     directories (see Documentation, Section 2.4) using the extensions
>     .1p and .3pm to ensure that no conflict arises where a packaged
>     module duplicates a core module.
>
> while section 2.4 states
>
>     Manual pages distributed with Perl packages must be installed into
>     the standard directories:
>     Programs
>         Manual pages for programs and scripts are installed into
>         /usr/share/man/man1 with the extension .1.
>     Modules
> 	Manual pages for modules are installed into /usr/share/man/man3
> 	with the extension .3perl.

This is consistent.  I think you just missed that section 2.4 is talking
about the behavior of the Perl packages themselves (in other words, perl,
perl-base, and perl-modules), whereas section 4.1 is talking about other
packages of Perl modules.  The man pages that ship with the core Perl
packages use .3perl and the man pages that ship with other packages use
.3pm, following this standard.

I'm not sure, however, that the .1p recommendation is followed.  Perl
folks, could you check?  Is that really current policy and are we
following it?

Assuming that we are, I think there isn't a bug here, although if other
people find this section confusing, maybe we should find a way to
rephrase to make it clearer which packages are being talked about in each
section.