Re: perl 5.10 transition, NMUs and release goals

Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@ftwca.de> writes:
> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> writes:
>> Can someone of the release team acknowledge this? The transition to
>> perl5.10 is in preparation since quite some time and the package has
>> been maturing in experimental. IMO the "release goal" status can be
>> granted to allow for easy NMU of the 109 package that remain to be
>> updated.
>
> Well, the release goal list is frozen by now and I wouldn't like to make
> exceptions. On the other hand, I believe that having Perl 5.10 in lenny
> is *critical* [1]. Uploading the new version unstable will automatically
> make all of the transition bugs rc anyway, so please go ahead, happy
> NMUing.

As a status update: I've just NMUed the last one of the
perl-5.10-ftbfs-rmdir bugs. This weekend's BSP made mass-uploads
easy. Anyway, only two dozens of packages are left to fix up for 5.10,
most of which have already patches. As these include more complex fixes,
I would love to wait with those until perl5.10 is uploaded to unstable,
so that fixes can be tested more easily.

Anyway, the actual reason for #465783 has been fixed, so I'm closing the
bug again.

In other news, I think that April 16th might not work out. We've sorted
out openexr/kdelibs now, but perl5.10 is still in the queue behind
python2.5 and the infamous suitesparse/OO.org transition.

Marc
--
BOFH #172:
pseudo-user on a pseudo-terminal