Re: /usr/local and @INC

Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> writes:
> * Guy Hulbert [Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:22:54 -0400]:
>> On Sun, 2008-23-03 at 19:27 +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:

>>> Aha. But what about local modules with changes to existing modules that
>>> will not be included? If I want to put a module that should override
>>> perl 5.8, 5.8.8, 5.10, ... where should I put it? That's the use case I

>> /etc/perl

> Right, that's what I ended up using. But it felt wrong wrt Policy and
> FHS.

Unfortunately, we only have so many different places into which we can put
modules, and we're already using them all with different semantics.  I
used to resort to just reinstalling local override modules each time the
minor version of Perl changes (which for a stable system isn't too bad).

You can also package them and put them in /usr/share/perl5, of course.