Re: Building a clean debian perl package

-=| Bob Wilkinson, Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 09:43:02PM +0000 |=-
>      I am trying to build a new debian package of my CPAN module. I
>      get errors when building and it it not linda-clean.
>
> b@italy:~/src/gramofile/Audio/Gramofile$ fakeroot debian/rules binary
> dh_testdir
[...]
> dh_gencontrol
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${perl:Depends}
[...]
> bob@italy:~/src/gramofile/Audio/Gramofile$ grep Depends debian/*
> debian/control:Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 4.0.2), perl (>= 5.8.0-7)
> debian/control:Depends: ${perl:Depends}, ${shlibs:Depends}
> debian/libaudio-gramofile-perl.substvars:shlibs:Depends=libgramofile1, libc6 (>= 2.7-1)
> bob@italy:~/src/gramofile/Audio/Gramofile$ linda ../libaudio-gramofile-perl_0.07-1_i386.deb
> W: libaudio-gramofile-perl; Module package has no dependancy on perl or perl-base.
>
>      Please could someone point out the mistake I am making?

If you put the debian/rules file somewhere so that we can take a look at
it... it would be much easier :)

Perhaps the install target is not working properly so the resulting
package is mostly empty and dh_perl does not detect any need to add
dependency on perl. I speculate here, please show ys debian/rules :)

BTW, the easiest way to start a perl module's Debian packaging is to use
dh-make-perl[1]

    [1] http://packages.debian.org/dh-make-perl