Re: pkg-perl TODO: SVN, archive, upstream, etc versions

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:14:19 +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:

> >> Partly done. See versioncheck.pl and Common.pl.
> http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/qa/versions-wip.html

Looks great, thanks!

> OK, it is now almost complete. The resulting list has no items that
> should not be there.

Comparing with the "old" version looks really good.

> It caches most of the information, so invoking it
> twice in a row is really fast (<10s in warn caches). Mimics uscan's
> functionality for CPAN modules, including version mangling, sf.net
> workaround etc.

Wow!

*trying at home*
1st run: 8m5.450s
2nd run: 7m51.874s

Hm, I must be doing something wrong (yes the cache is created) :-)

> I am thinking about
>  (1) using this instead of versioncheck-html

cronjob adjusted.
versions-wip.html moved to versions.html.

>  (2) making it run more often. I am not certain how often and have some
>      doubts about cache expiration times, which are more-or-less
>      arbitrary now. please suggest

I'm not sure about what we can do without harming alioth.
Raphaël?

>  (3) rewriting maintainercheck and wnppcheck too
>      maintainercheck now runs for 14s, which is simply ages :)

*hehe*
Yup, might be nicer with libparse-debianchangelog-perl

>      wnpp can't be made quicker, I guess, since it depends on
>      bugs.debian.org/wnpp, which is not that fast. Perhaps try
>      www.debian.org/devel/wnpp ? Or the SOAP interface?

I have no experience with the SOAP interface but grepping through the
downloaded webpage is not very elegant ...

 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Rod Stewart: If We Fall In Love Tonight