Why is Compress::Zlib so old?

Hi,

I usually browse the packages for which I am listed as an uploader
every now and then to check for up-to-dateness. Today, I decided to
dive into the bigger group of packages we group-maintain. I found
Compress::Zlib at version 1.42-2, with upstream version 2.004
available - So I decided to step in :)

Now, I later noticed that the 1.42-2 version was prepared by Gregor in
November 2006, and that there is work in progress from Eloy (changelog
last touched in April 24) to upgrade to 2.004.

Things started smelling strange. Now, on the module's version, the
major (1 -> 2) version jump was	in mid-2005, jumping from 1.38 to
2.000_00, as a beta release (I guess that explains why that changelog
just skipped over our current 1.42). 2.001 was officially stable by
the beginning of November 2006.

Now, the question: Why don't we have 2.004 already in? Is there
breakage? Is the API incompatible? If the API changed, do you think we
should still maintain a libcompress-zlib-1-perl (or similar) module,
so packages using the older API don't break? Eloy, why didn't you
upload after updating? Or am I just paranoid and we can just build and
ship?

My main concern for this is the huge popcon results for this package
(17738), I don't want to break them all with a bad upload ;-)

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23