Re: Character Encoding (UTF-8) in PERL

Krzysztof Krzy??aniak dijo [Thu, May 10, 2007 at 09:48:46AM +0200]:
> after connection do query "set NAMES utf8"
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset-connection.html
>
> or (from man DBD::mysql):
>
> mysql_enable_utf8
>
> This attribute determines whether DBD::mysql should assume strings
> stored in the database are utf8.  This feature defaults to off.
>
> When set, a data retrieved from a textual column type (char, varchar,
> etc) will have the UTF-8 flag turned on if necessary.  This enables
> character semantics on that string.  You will also need to ensure that
> your database / table / column is configured to use UTF8.  See Chapter
> 10 of the mysql manual for details.
>
> Additionally, turning on this flag tells MySQL that incoming data should
> be treated as UTF-8.  This will only take effect if used as part of the
> call to connect().  If you turn the flag on after connecting, you will
> need to issue the command "SET NAMES utf8" to get the same effect.
>
> This option is experimental and may change in future versions.

Ummm... This last line makes me not too confident about what I'm going
to propose, but anyway...

I think that, as Etch is by default installed with UTF on everywhere,
we should propose changing this default, so that MySQL connections are
also UTF by default. This could enter Etch 4.0r1 (or further). What do
you think?

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23