Re: DM and pkg-perl (summary, take 1)

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:11:16 +0200, Niko Tyni wrote:

> What's the way forward? Update the pkg-perl policy on the Uploaders
> thing and add a new 'DM practices' section?

Now that we have the first DM-upload enabled package [0] I think we
should come to a conclusion and -- as Niko suggested -- write down a
summary in policy.pod (and change some other paragraphs there). I'm
trying to compile a summary, mostly from Damyan's mails:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

=head1 DM practice

This section describes briefly how the Debian Maintainers concecpt
(cf. http://www.debian.org/vote/2007/vote_003) is handled in the
pkg-perl group.

=over

=item 1. DM actions

The DM prepares a new (upstream/debian) version of the package and wants it
uploaded. The DM is also confident in working with the package and
wants to be able to upload it in the future. She has to do three things:
 * add herself to Uploaders
 * add XS-DM-Upload-Allowed: yes (if it's not yet there)
 * add a note to the top of debian/changelog (in such a manner that
   it can't be missed by the sponsor) warning of the changes

=item 2. DD actions

The sponsoring DD decides, removes the note, and either

 a) accepts the request, cleans Uploaders and uploads the package
 b) denies the request, undoes upload-permission-giving changes
    (Uploaders and/or XS-DM-Upload-Allowed), and uploads as before

In both cases a mail should be sent to the DM and
debian-perl@lists.debian.org.

=item 3. Note

Althoug technically possible DMs are not allowed to add other DMs to
a package.

=back

Comments, improvements, and more podifications welcome :)

[0]
18:12 <CIA-1> pkg-perl: dmn * r10760 libxml-sax-perl/debian/ (changelog control):
18:12 <CIA-1> pkg-perl: * Add XS-DM-Upload-Allowed: yes to debian/control so Niko Tyni can exercise
18:12 <CIA-1> pkg-perl:  his DM powers :)

 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Arik Brauer: Dschiribim, Dschiribam