Debian Maintainership

> I've just received a mail from the BTS, triggered by an
> upload to the debian-maintainers package:

>   * Added Debian maintainer Martin Ferrari. Closes: #451998
>
> That means that I'm a DM now! (/me dances happily!!! \o\ /o/)

w00t!

> how are we going to handle this situation within the group?

This is the question that is on my mind too. For me, the quality of
debian's packages is the most important. I can't remember the last
time I had to manipulate a broken package, (actually that is not true,
locales depends on glibc-2.7-1 which doesn't exist! But then I am
running sid.)

The point is, I want to make sure that the packages I package are
debian quality. For me the mechanism to insure this is to bug Damyan
to look at my package and have him upload it when he thinks it is
ready. This works for me but it doesn't scale well.

> Damyan will surely welcome help with uploads, but for that to
> happen, every package should have the DM-upload-allowing flag
> enabled. And I don't think that everybody will be comfortable
> with that (and I need some warm-up time before I can
> confidently upload packages).
>
> As per the rest of the work, we could use the policy that
> when you do a significant change and put yourself in
> Uploaders (as we currently do), that package could also gain
> the DM flag. But this has the problem that we don't do many
> uploads in a row of the same package, but for many different
> packages....
>
> So. What do other people think about this issue?

I personally am going to:

 1. Apply to be a DM
 2. Continue to ask for oversight of my packages
 3. Wait until I have some form of confirmation that my packages
routinely meet debian's quality standards before I upload

It seems though that I might as well try to become a DD if I can
fulfill the above algorithm, but maybe that is the purpose of DM - to
get those who contribute into a more formal process and to vet those
who want to become a DD more carefully.

I am interested to hear what others think as well.

   Jeremiah