Re: advice needed for packaging - Time-modules

Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Ok, so in the end this was solved :) But still, there are many
> (although not _that_ many) such bundles in the CPAN world. I think we
> could follow something like:
>
> - The package name follows the module name (so, libtime-modules-perl
>   in this case). I was playing with the idea of just dropping lib
>   (time-modules-perl) or adding 'bundle'
>   (time-modules-perl-bundle)... But I don't think it adds much clarity

I consider the form w/o the "lib" prefix (e.g. "time-modules-perl") a good
idea for source packages.

It's also useful for libraries that do provide an executable script or
two, such as Mail::SPF, which I intend to package shortly (it's the
successor of Mail::SPF::Query).  The mail-spf-perl source package has two
binary packages: libmail-spf-perl and spf-tools-perl (containing two
executable scripts that use Mail::SPF).

> - Make sure it does include the list of independent included modules
>   in its long description, so apt-cache can grok it

That it should do regardless.

> Now... where to draw the line on including lists of modules? (most
> modules include tens of sub-modules) Is there a real distinction
> between CPAN's modules and bundles? If so, that's the answer :)

If it's a collection of related but independent modules, list each of them
in the description.  If the package name doesn't make clear immediately
what packages are contained, list them.  Otherwise, don't.