Re: advice needed for packaging - Time-modules

Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> [...]
> http://search.cpan.org/~muir/Time-modules-2006.0814/
>
> Now, my doubt: how should that be packaged?
>
> My first approach was a libtime-modules-perl source + a binary package
> containing all five modules with Description: that notes all of them to
> help users of "apt-cache search" find them.
>
> I have a slight problem with the package name, though. It implies that
> it contains Time::Modules, which is not true.

It's generally accepted that Perl library package names within Debian
reflect the Perl/CPAN "distribution" name rather than the "module" name.
See source packages libmailtools-perl and mime-tools as examples.

> AzaTht proposed splitting each module in its own binary package. This
> looks OK package-name-wise, but means that we actually ship single file
> in each package plus all the debian packaging overhead. Looks
> suboptimal for the archive.

I wouldn't split them.  I'd just follow up on your initial approach.