Having a version of CPAN >= 1.81 ?

Dear Perl team,

I am trying to prepare a Debian package for BioPerl version 1.5.2, but
the building fails with the following error:

 - ERROR: CPAN (1.76_02) is installed, but we need version >= 1.81

Am I right if I say that CPAN in Debian belongs to perl-modules, and
that ther is no version of this pacakge which contain a high enough
version of CPAN ?

If yes, do you happen to plan to prepare an update in the short-term
future? Or shall I better upgrade locally CPAN for the moment? In that
case, is there method which is safer than others ?

Many thanks for your help, and have a nice day,

[please CC me, I am not subscribed.]

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org