Serious bug in security update for Crypt::CBC

Dear Martin,

From: Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org>
To: Debian Security Announcements <debian-security-announce@lists.debian.org>
Subject: [SECURITY] [DSA 996-1] New Crypt::CBC packages fix cryptographic
    weakness

For the stable distribution (sarge) this problem has been fixed in
version 2.12-1sarge1.

I'm afraid this new package introduces some serious errors in software that depends on this package. I have tested the new package on three different Sarge machines with the following results. Please reproduce using attached perl script.

It is the simplest of perl scripts and it functions correctly with libcrypt-cbc-perl version 2.12-1:

allard@wijdbeens:~$ dpkg -l libcrypt-cbc-perl | grep '^ii'
ii libcrypt-cbc-p 2.12-1 Implementation of cipher block allard@wijdbeens:~$ perl crypt-decrypt.pl
allard
allard@wijdbeens:~$

After the upgrade to libcrypt-cbc-perl version 2.12-1sarge1:

allard@wijdbeens:~$ sudo apt-get install libcrypt-cbc-perl=2.12-1sarge1
[..]
allard@wijdbeens:~$ dpkg -l libcrypt-cbc-perl | grep '^ii'
ii libcrypt-cbc-p 2.12-1sarge1 Implementation of cipher block allard@wijdbeens:~$ perl crypt-decrypt.pl

allard@wijdbeens:~$

Please remove the update from the security archive.

Regards,

Allard Hoeve
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use Crypt::CBC;

my $cbc       = new Crypt::CBC({ key => "abcdefghi", cipher => "Blowfish" });
my $encrypted = $cbc->encrypt("allard");

undef $cbc;

$cbc          = new Crypt::CBC({ key => "abcdefghi", cipher => "Blowfish" });
my $decrypted = $cbc->decrypt($encrypted);

print "$decrypted\n";