Re: Reorganizing our repository

Julian Mehnle wrote:
> How to do it should be obvious (svn co svn+ssh://user@svn.debian.org/svn/
> pkg-perl/packages), but why would one want to do that in the first place?

When I am a member of a team that's maintaining a set of packages, I
like to be able to check out all their trunks, so that I can do
maintenance[1] across the set of packages, not just of one package at a
time. As I've written here before, not being able to do that with
pkg-perl makes me less interested in participating in it.

Anyway, aside from me you already have an example in Gunnar of someone
who is very active in pkg-perl and who clearly has his own good reasons
for needing a scalable way to check out all the packages.

> If you just wanted to check out all the trunks, you could always do the
> following:
>
>   $ export url=svn+ssh://user@svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-perl
>   $ for pkg in $(svn ls $url/packages); do \
>       svn co $url/packages/$pkg/trunk $pkg; done

This fails due to a) not supporting svn update b) not supporting
added/removed/renamed packages.

--
see shy jo

[1] Including but not limited to making the packaging style consistent,
    keeping up with policy changes, checking for new upstream versions,
    doing security auditing, and grepping other packages in the set for
    any given bug or problem that I find in one of them.