Re: Jifty?

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 02:05:14PM +0100, Stephen Quinney wrote:
> I know lots of Debian people use Class::DBI (or DBIx::Class) and
> Catalyst or Maypole but has anyone been using Jifty and Jifty::DBI? It
> describes itself briefly as "Yet another web framework." and comes
> from the guys who created RT. I'm keen to have a play with it but it
> seems to require a few perl modules that are not in Debian. So, I was
> wondering if anyone had packaged Jifty and the missing dependencies
> and could save me the effort?

I once played with Jifty 0.60213 and therefor packaged all its
dependencies in a quick and dirty way. If you can provide me the list of
packages you need I could upload them for you to some place (I have most
of my quick&dirty perl module packages in a single directory and I don't
know for sure which belong to Jifty and wich not).

After playing around with Jifty for a but I think that it is a really
promising project, but it's still changing rapidly and therefor, IMHO,
not yet ready to be used for anything serios. Even the quickstart
tutorial, which is, according to the docs, a good starting point to
learn how Jifty works, didn't reflect the current state of the framework
and didn't work. It took me quite a while to find out how everything is
supposed to work with the version I was using.

For that reason I'd say that it's probably too early to have official
Jifty packages in Debian.

-Flo

--
BOFH excuse #158: