Re: @INC changes on Perl upgrade

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 09:53:26PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
>On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 12:55:23PM +1100, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 01:52:12PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
>> Typically, a local admin installs a package to the site dirs because:
>>
>>  * a newer version is required than is provided by CORE/vendor (long
>>    stable release cycles).
>
>As is my case.
>
>> The theory is that at time of upgrading to the next stable release, the
>> CORE or vendor versions will be the most current, and should be
>> preferred over the module installed locally.
>
>Which isn't the case.

...for *unstable*.  Note the remarks about *stable* above.  And these
below:

>> These assumptions do not necessarily hold for people tracking unstable,
>> although generally should not be *too* far off the mark if the perl
>> module packagers are following upstream releases relatively promptly.
>
>Seems like going form 5.8.7 to 5.8.8 is not a major upgrade, so it
>should not override my locally installed modules.

I think that you're missing the point.  No solution is going to cater
for all cases, this one is aimed at allowing people to locally override
modules on a stable system, which not causing unexpected problems after
upgrading to the next stable release.

5.8.7->8 is certainly not a major upgrade, but consider:

    potato 5.004.05
    woody  5.6.1
    sarge  5.8.4
    etch   5.5.8 (?)

>> In your specific case, I note that libclass-dbi-perl is "out of date"
>> since the maintainer is waiting for upstream to release a stable
>> version[1] before updating the package.  Suggest you simply un-install
>> libclass-dbi-perl.
>
>That was my first idea, but then I saw this:
>
>The following packages will be REMOVED:
>  libcatalyst-model-cdbi-perl libclass-dbi-abstractsearch-perl
>  libclass-dbi-asform-perl libclass-dbi-fromcgi-perl libclass-dbi-loader-perl
>  libclass-dbi-loader-relationship-perl libclass-dbi-pager-perl libclass-dbi-perl
>  libclass-dbi-pg-perl libclass-dbi-plugin-retrieveall-perl
>  libclass-dbi-plugin-type-perl libclass-dbi-sqlite-perl libmaypole-perl
>0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 13 to remove and 24 not upgraded.

Make a local NMU of the package, or just re-install under /usr/local.

--bod