Re: Pile of Perl package to give away

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 09:43:26PM -0500, Carlo Segre wrote:
>This and the previous announcement beg the question of what the role of
>the Debian-perl group is supposed to be.  are we obliged to take in
>orphaned perl packages?

Debian maintainers, whether in the Perl Group or otherwise are
volunteers.  As such you are not *obliged* to do anything.

Ken has thrown out a bunch of packages for adoption.  As with any
package, perl module or otherwise up for adoption, if you see something
in the list which you would miss if it weren't packaged (note:  also
check 'apt-cache rdepends PACKAGE'), then you should probably consider
adopting it.

If not, then I strongly recommend *not* adopting the package.  Either
someone else who does care will pick it up (potentially converting a
user to a developer), or the package will eventually be removed.

Think of it as evolution in action:  packages that at least one person
cares about will be maintained, anything else will eventually go the way
of the Neanderthal.

--bod