Re: libfoo-bar-baz-perl: New upstream release

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 03:38:26PM +0200, Florian Ragwitz wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 02:11:54PM +0100, Andrew Stribblehill wrote:
> > Florian: what are you playing at? This looks like work for work's
> > sake to me.
>
> At a semi-automatic mechanism to report outdated perl modules. Basic
> approches for that were already done in pkg-perl a while ago but were
> never really used.
>
> I constantly hit problems because of that. There have been nearly 20
> updates from, partial really outdated, perl packages. So it's kind of
> improving the quality of Perl packages in Debian, isn't it?

It is only guaranteed to improve the quality if those updates contain
bug fixes for previous problem. Any upstream version changes which are
purely new features could easily reduce the quality instead if they
have not had time to be ironed out yet.

This is not to say I don't approve of some automated service like
this. This is certainly a useful way to spot MIA maintainers for
instance. It would just be good to have some heuristics which decide
if it is worth the update yet. Software which is a few days "fresh"
might still be quite buggy, whereas a new version which is still not
in Debian after a couple of weeks is probably going to be as stable as
we can hope for.

Stephen