Forcing MakeMaker not to install dependencies on build

Is there a way to tell MakeMaker that I don't want it to automatically
install dependencies from CPAN?

I'm trying to make some debian packages of perl modules for local use,
and `perl Makefile.PL` is trying to install the modules dependencies
is there a way to prevent this since run-time dependencies shouldn't
matter on a machine simply building the package. The instant case is
XML::Feed v0.05 and I can manually hack around it by commenting out
auto_install(); in Makefile.PL, and I suppose I could have
debian/rules patch Makefile.PL, but I was hoping MakeMaker wasn't so
brain dead as to require that.

David
please CC me.