Re: [Cpanplus-devel] Advice requested; Automatic building of debian packages from CPAN modules

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 10:18:12AM +0100, Jos I. Boumans wrote:
> While building these .debs we've got very encouraging results, and
> barring
> debian policy option tweaks, they're 'technically' sound. However, one
> issue
> arises: The debian package system does not allow a file to be 'owned'
> (or
> provided) by 2 different packages, which is a problem when updating
> core modules
> from CPAN (like for example Test::More and Cwd):

They can.  I believe you want to look at "Replaces".
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-replaces

There's also "diversions" as well as "alternatives".
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-diversions.html

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern@pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Abandon failing tactics.