Re: [Cpanplus-devel] Advice requested; Automatic building of debian packages from CPAN modules

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 07:17:34AM -0500, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 10:18:12AM +0100, Jos I. Boumans wrote:

> > While building these .debs we've got very encouraging results, and
> > barring debian policy option tweaks, they're 'technically' sound.
> > However, one issue arises: The debian package system does not
> > allow a file to be 'owned' (or provided) by 2 different packages,
> > which is a problem when updating core modules from CPAN (like for
> > example Test::More and Cwd):
>
> They can.  I believe you want to look at "Replaces".
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-replaces
>
> There's also "diversions" as well as "alternatives".
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-diversions.html

It should also be noted that "core" Perl modules go into a different
directory to the individual packages.

Individual packages:

/usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5

"core" modules:

/usr/lib/perl/5.8
/usr/share/perl/5.8

So there is nothing preventing someone updating a core module with a
new, more recent, version in a separate package.

Stephen Quinney