Packaged perl slow?

Hi,

 I've been tracing a problem with a Perl Application I use (kwiki), and
 I'm having trouble understanding why it is so slow.  On modest hardware
 (by today's standards, PIII@700, 128 MB RAM) running the "main" script
 (index.cgi) takes circa 3-4 seconds for the default configuration.  A
 user on FreeBSD with similar hardware reports 0.8 seconds.  There's no
 unusual I/O activity, the CPU is idle, memory usage is normal, too.
 While the application runs, it pegs the CPU at 95% usage for the whole
 time.

 Any clues?

 Marcelo