Re: dh-make-perl and permissions

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 12:28:52PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Doesn't seem like dh_installdocs is doing the right thing there.  It's
> > trying to overwrite the first README.  Maybe it should use:
> >
> >        cp --parents example/README debian/libxml-rss-perl/usr/share/doc/libxml-rss-perl
>
> How about:
>
>   dh_installdocs README TODO
>   dh_installexamples examples/README

Ok, so are you saying the dh-make-perl has the bug?  dh-make-perl is
using File::Find to find any README (and other common) files.  Then it's
simply doing a s/#DOCS#/@docs; on the skeleton rules file which
contains:

        dh_installdocs #DOCS#

Using dh_installexamples only solves the files in "examples", but
dh-make-perl is finding READMEs anyplace they may be located.

If the intent is to really copy every README regardless of where it
might be located in the module's source then dh_installdocs is broken.
dh_installdocs uses cp -a, so I wonder if the author was intending to
copy recursively (which only works if the source is a directory
when using -a).

> > > 555 is an odd set of permissions to have, though.
> >
> > Yes.  Don't normally need to execute README files.
>
> And it should be owner-writeable.

So is that something dh-make-perl should check for?  It's the CPAN
module that has those permissions.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley