Re: libperl-dev -- question to debian user

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:20:50PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:58:52AM -0700, Keith Goettert wrote:
> > I have also noticed that libperl.a seems misplaced.  Did you ever get an
> > answer out of the community?

> Oh, no I don't remember -- too many things going on and I don't
> remember what I was trying to debug.  I've cross-posted to debian-perl
> so maybe someone there can respond.

I'm just a new participant in debian-perl, Keith and Bill. I'm not able
to offer any authoritative info on anything relating to this, but I
wanted to offer what little I can tell.
> Here's the original message:
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200308/msg00316.html
> > $ make perl
> >
> > make[1]: *** No rule to make target
> > `/usr/lib/perl/5.8.0/CORE/libperl.a', needed by `perl'.  Stop.
> >
> > $ dpkg -S libperl.a
> > libperl-dev: /usr/lib/libperl.a

> --
> Bill Moseley
> moseley@hank.org

I notice that both of the fully-qualified paths seem wrong to me. The
first one seems to be missing the architecture-component of where Perl
lives, the second to be just wrong. On my system I have a perl-5.8.0
that was not installed from Debian package source or binary .deb, but
rather built from upstream Perl src (it's a Woody system), and on this,
my libperl.a is located at:

   /opt/perl/lib/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/libperl.a

I might well be missing the point of the message entirely, and I suppose
you both know this already. Anyhow, clearly whatever is going on here is
wrong if the idea is to say correctly where a build is to find
'libperl.a'.

Maybe there is supposed to be a copy of libperl.a in /usr/lib: on my
system there exists one, which must be 5.6.1's.

Brendan must be able to explain this?

    Soren A