Re: Fix for user-build of Digest::MD5

Brendan O'Dea wrote [Thursday 12 June 2003 10:13]:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 11:27:58AM -0400, Soren Andersen wrote:
>>On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 05:26:00PM +1000, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
{skip}
>>The setting of the INSTALLDIRS isn't the build bug, but does have
>>significance. I think most users on Debian would want to do as you
>>advise in order to prevent their upgraded module from being clobbered
>>silently by an APT package operation sometime in the future.
>
> Not necessarily, I discovered the problem (which stems from the fact
> that this module is included as part of recent perl versions) since I
> did not have write permission on /usr/{share,lib}/perl since I was not
> running the build as root.
>
> Note: on Debian systems, users in group "staff" may write to /usr/local,
> a feature which interoperates very well with the CPAN module and
> insulates you to some degree from such problems.

I just wanted to follow up, even if the context is now somewhat obscured by
time. THANKS Brendan a LOT, for educating me with this fact (which as an
ideal person in an ideal world, I should have already known by being
thoroughly familiar with Debian-Policy ;-) : that "/usr/local" is for
grp:staff as well as root (su). Understanding this point has really had a
far-reaching salutory effect on many aspects of how I admin my own
workstation, design my software installation strategies, and advise others.

Also, BTW, I don't know if you had something to do w/ it -- but the latest
release of Digest::MD5 (a couple months ago) seems to have fixed this
build-time issue (upstream, I mean, on CPAN).

  Perl+Debian ROCKS.

    Best,  Soren A.

--
Sooooo, tell me, my little one-eyed one: on what poor, pitiful, defenseless
planet has my MONSTROSITY been ... unleashed?