Re: problems with upstream authors and the naming of perl modules

I really think this should go to the debian-perl list so I'm sending it
there. The libc-include-perl example below is one of the best arguments
I've seen for changing the perl module naming scheme. It's a pity that
we didn't think it through more before deciding on it. IIRC we just took
the example of a few packages using that naming scheme and blessed it.

Changing the naming scheme to something saner would take at least one
release, we'd want to start near the beginning of the development cycle
to have time to change all the packages. Now is not the time to start
that process.

Of course, to make things worse, the same silly naming scheme is being
used for java, python, and ruby module packages in debian now, too. :-(

As far as some kind of quicker fix goes, I proposed some time ago that
policy be amended to let the libfoo-bar-perl just be provided by the
package, if it made better sense to use something else for the package
name. Though that proposal has been stalled for *years* (I'm offline, so
I cannot look up why, it's policy bug #114920), if I were you I'd go
ahead and do that here.

--
see shy jo