Perl 5.8.0 and UTF-8 locales

[I thought that bugreports against perl were followed up here, here
is a message I sent yesterday about #164717]

Hurrah, it looks like Perl developers saw the light, see
    http://archive.develooper.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg90835.html

Perl 5.6 and 5.8 have very different behaviors wrt UTF-8 handling,
and 5.8.1 will also introduce major changes.
So sarge should definitely not ship Perl 5.8.0 with current UTF-8
handling; are you (debian-perl folks) interested in backporting
this patch into 5.8.0, or do you believe that 5.8.1 will be included
in sarge?

Denis