Re: lintian's view of the world of perl

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 01:38:29PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > The Debian Perl Policy allows both locations, and FHS says
> > architecture-independent data should go to /usr/share instead of
> > /usr/lib. I don't see anything wrong with any of that, whereas the
> > inconsistent state (i.e. both directories having files) on Debian
> > systems does strike me as improper.
>
> I agree with bod that files are not necessarily architecture-independent
> simply because file(1) says they are, and I think that this lintian
> change should be reverted. If nothing else lintian shouldn't be
> pronouncing on things which are still controversial.
>
> For an obvious counterexample to the ".pm files in /usr/lib are wrong"
> position, look at /usr/lib/perl/5.8.0/Config.pm. I'd also find it hard
> to claim with a straight face that it would be a good idea for MakeMaker
> to install DynaLoader.pm in an architecture-independent position.

Hmm, I didn't see the quote from bod, Ardo wrote above the quote so I didn't
even bother looking at it. Sorry.

So, all right, there are valid cases where pm is fine in /usr/lib, but that
only makes an error a warning in Lintian terminology, which it is, because
I suspected there might be exceptions. I still have over 3 MB of ordinary
.pm files and another 10 MB of normal textual files in my system's
/usr/lib/perl5 that don't appear to have anything particularly
architecture-dependent.

1.2 MB of those are .pod and AFAIK that's documentation so I guess it can be
added to the .p(m|l) regexp. I also see an insane number of image files
below Tk/, which makes me think people are used to stuffing whatever the
hell they want in the /usr/lib/perl5 hierarchy.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.