Re: Debian-Perl-Policy and .packlist?

Whoops, debian-policy is list @-)

K, I just subscribed to debian-perl and debian-policy, but I cannot
decide to move the thread into either one, since both fit IMO.

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 01:11:56PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Michael Lamertz wrote:
> > I was wandering for a while now why the ExtUtils::Installed module that

Ouch, that should be 'wondering'.

> > comes with perl-modules doesn't work.  Some days ago I noticed the
> > Debian-Perl-Policy which says:
> >
> >     ".packlist files should not be installed."
> >
> > There's no reason given why this is policy, but it breaks the
> > functionality of perls legal way to test the runtime environment, and I
> > don't think that this is a Good Thing (tm).
> >
> > Is there anything one can do about that?
>
> Don't .packlist files get added to if another module is installed in the
> same subdirectory? It's been a while since I looked at them, but that
> would make it incompatable with our packaging system. You'll probably
> have better luck with this question on debian-perl, so I am ccing there.

Except for core packages, that shouldn't happen, since packages install
in their own namespace.  The .packlist for XML::Simple, for example,
sits on one of my machines in

    /opt/perl/lib/site_perl/5.6.1/i586-linux/auto/XML/Simple/.packlist

But the Simple.pm actually sits one directory above this.  But even
then, I'm not sure if it's goot policy to undermine a perfectly working
established method without thought.  A method do register or unregister
modules in the post-install/pre-remove parts of a package would make
much more sense.

Josip Rodin suggested on debian-policy that I should file a bug report
against the package that contains ExtUtils::Installed (perl-modules),
but I think that's stretching it a bit.  The bug's in the policy, not in
the module which works perfectly well on, ...  well, on how many platforms
does perl run?

--
	    Well, then let's give that Java-Wussie a beating... (me)

Michael Lamertz                        |     +49 2234 204947 / +49 171 6900 310
Sandstr. 122                           |                       mike@lamertz.net
50226 Frechen                          |                 http://www.lamertz.net
Germany                                |               http://www.perl-ronin.de